Welcome to my website
I am a software developer & architect.
I'm a software engineer with 10 years of experience developing small solutions, large software systems, and everything in between in the United States and in my home country, Chile.
Until recently, I worked as technical lead and .NET expert at Solu4B S.A. in Santiago, Chile, a software company offering both off-the-shelf solutions and custom software development. I was in charge of developing their flagship product Engage, a CRM, BPM, and BI tool with 10 years in the market. I successfully migrated it from Visual Basic 6 to .NET 4.6 and the newest HTML5+CSS+JS technologies, and enhanced its security, scalability and usability. As technical lead, I was also responsible for directing the design of new solutions and providing training, tools and methodologies for different development teams.
In the past I have developed products for several other companies, as well as running my own startup.
My friends and colleagues know me as a highly creative and resourceful developer whose passion is to create great software. In a world of the internet, web servers, APIs, mobile apps and hundreds of competing technologies, this is not an easy task. Architecture, design and the development process are all fundamental to deliver quality products. This is why I have dedicated most of my career not only to writing software, but also to analyzing how to produce better software. From requirements, through architectural decisions, system designs and coding, all the way to delivery and continuous improvement. Choosing the best tools and technology is important, but so is having good development processes. Practices must work for your product and also for your people.
I have a MSc from Stony Brook University (New York) and a BSc from Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (Santiago). I am a green card holder.
I’m currently freelancing while I pursue new opportunities and can be reached through my Linkedin profile.
I have been lucky enough to get the best education from two different countries.
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Stony Brook University, New York
- Fulbright Scholarship for Foreign Students recipient
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science
- Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Santiago, Chile
- “José Miguel Carrera” Award, for excellent academic achievement as the valedictorian of the graduating class
I have been developing software for more than 10 years now. This is some of the work I've done.
- 2013 - 2016
- Software Architect – Lead .NET Developer
- Solunegocios S.A., Santiago, Chile.
- Product: Engage CRM
- Migration of large CRM product (~20KLOC) from Visual Basic 6 to C#.NET 4.6.
- Code analysis and domain discovery for full object-oriented refactoring.
- Architectural refactoring from monolithic design to SOA with main goals of robustness and maintainability.
- Achieved a persistence-agnostic design migration using NHibernate to support both SQL Server and Oracle.
- Delivered a working system in 4 months as a single developer.
- Increased responsiveness and scalability by using AJAX and server-side object caches in key parts of the application, and by streamlining the HTML generation engine. Reduced page generation times from ~700 ms average (~2s worst case) to ~200ms average.
- Product: Mobile Development (iOS)
- Led team that developed an internal app for remote workers, allowing them to check in and out from customers’ offices.
- Developed in Swift, uses GPS and a backend (ASP.NET WebApi + SQL Server) service to store a user’s location and check-in time.
- Software Development Practices
- Collaborated implementing a SCM (Git) as a standard practice for all projects. Gave seminars on Git tools, philosophy, and best practices.
- Pioneered the use of Continuous Integration and Delivery systems which are now used by the team for every major project.
- Imparted seminars in Architecture, Software Development, specific technologies such as MVC, NHibernate. These sessions helped reduce the gap between junior and senior developers and fostered a continuous learning and collaboration environment.
- Automated Testing
- Led a team of 3 developers researching and selecting an Automated UI Testing tool.
- Team authored tests and integrated this tool as part of the CI process.
- Automated UI Testing as part of Integration Testing greatly increased the quantity of bugs and regressions found during development, tightening the development cycle and increasing the quality of product releases.
- 2012 to 2013
- Software Architect
- Light Speed Solutions, LLC., Farmingdale, NY.
- Product: MVC Application Framework
- Part of the team that developed the company’s new MVC framework, extending ASP.NET MVC capabilities by using a conventions-based approach, integration of third-party UI view elements.
- Normalized and formalized the architecture of the framework. Refactored and maintained a big codebase for architectural conformance, creating a consistent and maintainable ecosystem.
- Use of this framework reduced the overall development time and increased the reuse of tools and knowledge.
- 2007 to 2010
- Co-founder and Lead Developer
- Trigensoft Ltda., Santiago, Chile.
- Product: Ecoinformat Ultrasound Analysis
- Part of the team that developed Ecoinformat, a solution for obstetric ultrasound data analysis, written in C# + SQL Server. Product concept won "Emprendedores.NET" (Entrepreneurs.NET) contest sponsored by Microsoft Chile in 2006.
- As lead developer and architect, was in charge of designing and developing the core functionality of the solution as well as providing training for the team.
- Start-up Management
- IT and non-IT related management, project and team leadership, customer relations, software requirements analysis, planning and execution, systems administration and programming.
- 2008 to 2009
- Research Assistant at Toeska Research Group
- Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Santiago - Valparaíso, Chile.
- Product: Ecoinformat Ultrasound Analysis
- Developed research tools for natural language processing and information extraction using Java (using GATE for text analysis and part of speech tagging) and C# (for web front-ends and processing tools).
- Worked on interoperability between Java/.NET components and .NET/Linux with IKVM and Mono.
- 2007 to 2008
- Part-time Systems Developer
- GeoBit E.I.R.L., Santiago., Chile.
- Product: ZEUS Fire Dept. Emergency Tracking System
- Sole developer of an emergency tracking application for fire departments composed of a resource management system, a GIS component for address and resource location, and a shared, database-backed resource state. Developed client software for Windows and server software for Linux.
- Modified open-source GIS software MapWindow, and built proprietary components on top of it.
- Development was accomplished using C#/Visual Basic.NET/C++/PostgreSQL.
- As of 2016, this system is still in use, protecting an area where 700,000 people reside.
Objectively innovate empowered
manufactured products whereas parallel platforms. Holisticly predominate
extensible testing procedures for reliable supply chains. Dramatically
engage top-line web services vis-a-vis cutting-edge deliverables.
- HTML5 / CSS3
- 7 years of professional work
- Projects - Vestibulum ut pharetra diam, vitae hendrerit sapien
- PHP / MySQL
- 5 years of professional work
- Projects - Donec vel nulla mollis, mattis orci vel, vulputate tellus